Wednesday, August 22, 2012

NEW LETTER!

Sorry i have to write on one email again to save time!

Mom, thank you so much for the newsletter! i hadn't received any mail yet and when i got your letter it made me so happy! and thank you for the m&m's, they're my favorite! i'm definitely gonna eat them, except i'm gonna save one bag so i can remember and also because they are just plain awesome! and don't worry about my food, we get like 150 dollars a month for groceries, so every P day (wednesday) we go shopping for food! which the first week was a fail, i have no idea what to buy... i ended up eating peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for saturday and sunday, but it's all good, food is food! at least i'm not starving.. so don't worry about money for food! but i WOULD like some recipes, because as of right now, all i have to my name is some microwavable burritos, pb&j, and quesadillas.. i'm livin it up!
i don't need to buy winter clothes yet, it's actually still pretty warm out here! cloudy, but warm. and humid. i sweat a lot with my backpack! so i'm good for now.
Dad, thank you for your email! it means so much when i see that you guys have taken the time to write me, i just want to know everything! and i feel like email isn't enough because there is so much to say but not enough time to write everything. I actually HAVE had the opportunity to knock doors.. lots, in fact. me and my companion elder fairbourn probably knock 100 doors a day, but the work is slow.. we're lucky if we get 5 people to open the door. we're even luckier if they don't close it within 10 seconds. it seems like those who open it are happy, until they see that it's the missionaries, then they're instantly annoyed and tell us to go away. it's kind of funny, but i don't want to laugh in front of them! We still use an area book and actually have been using it a lot this past week because we've hardly had any appointments, so we're going through the area book and updating it because there are a lot of families that haven't been visited in a long time! even with the area book, we haven't had a lot of success.
Last wednesday night, we had an appointment with a man named Rene, he is such a good investigator! he reads the book of mormon, definitely believes in God, he wants to make a change in his life and is looking for peace... when i found all of this out i was so surprised, it was like an investigator that they gave us at the MTC to make it easier to teach.. he even showed up to church on sunday and said he liked it! so hopefully we can keep moving forward. we also taught Maria and Marta last night. Marta is the mom (probably like 60's in age) and Maria is the daughter (probably in her 30's or 40's) and they both really love the church, and have been taking the discussions for a while! like 9 weeks i think.. so we taught them last night and it went soooo good, the mom commited to baptism! I was so happy, and i'm so excited for her! just thought i'd share the good news.. other than that, the work is really slow, but hey, can't baptize everyone at the same time! better one than none..
we walk a ton. and ride the bus a ton. and ride the train a ton. it's really hard to say what we do the most.. some times we walk to a bus stop that takes us to a train station so we can ride the train to another part of town so we can walk to the area we want to go to.. and i never know where i am, this city is so confusing! but hopefully with time i'll get it down.
alright, story time. before i say anything, mom, don't freak out. everything is okay, i promise :) 
okay sooo, i got here, to the bronx, on wednesday. so we go about our day or whatever and i get introduced to the apartment and everything is fine.. so we go to sleep, and i wake up thursday and my foot was realllllyy itchy, so i didn't know if i got bit by something or if i picked up athletes foot from someone in the apartment or what , but it wasn't too serious, so i didn't mention it to anyone or make a big deal about it. by the end of the night, my foot kind of hurt, and i got a gross blister on the bottom of my toe, but i figured it was only because i walked a lot. so i go to bed and wake up friday and my foot is red, and there are two little dots close to my toes- it kind of looked like i got bit by a snake. but there's no way that happened, so i just assumed that i got bit by the same bug twice. as the day went on, my foot hurt more and more and started to burn kind of. so when we got home, i looked at it and the bite marks had started to turn black, which kind of worried me, and my foot was started to get SUPER red.. i went to bed, woke up at 3, and didn't fall back to sleep till about 4 because the pain in my foot was horrible.. so i finally fall asleep and wake up in the morning, and my foot is throbbing.. its a little swollen, but i still tried to brush it off and not make a big deal out of it because i didn't want to make it seem like i was just complaining.. so we do our morning studies and all that and then eat lunch, and i was playing with some bouncy ball and it fell by my foot- so when i bent down to pick it up, i looked at my foot and it was HUGE! soooo fat, sooo swollen, sooo ugly. so i showed my companion and the other two elders that lived with us and everyone freaked out. we called the zone leaders, then called the mission presidents wife, and then called the mission president and told all of them what happened.. so President morgan told us to go to the hospital. Yup, four days into my mission, and i had to go to the hospital. we had to cancel all of our appointments that day, it was terrible! so we went to the hospital and they told me that it's probably a bug bite, and i probably scratched it too hard and broke skin, and i probably had bacteria on my hands because i live in the bronx, so i got an infection and that's why my foot was so big. but they gave me antibiotics and sent me on my way! i'm still taking them, but my foot is now back to it's normal size and color, i just still have the two spots that look like a snake bite..but i'm in no pain, so it's all good ! 
I just want to let you guys know that everything is going great, i'm happy here, and even though the work is slow, work is work, and we're trying our hardest to spread the word and teach the gospel to others! 
also, mom, dad, and whoever else is reading this email, can you guys send me music? please? stuff that's church appropriate obviously.. but mix it up! and just to let you guys know, we ARE allowed to listen to disney music! please and thank you :) Los quiero mucho, espero que me siguen mandando cartas, es dificil para mi para encontrar tiempo para escribir, pero estoy tratando! los extrano mucho, cuidense!!! 

Love,

Elder Juan Zazueta

No comments:

Post a Comment